Mario Sundar

LinkedIn's 2nd PR hire. These are my thoughts on products, public relations, and startups.

…and one more thing…

I started this journey of blogging almost a year ago (nudged on by my good friend, Jeremiah – thanks, buddy!) and here I am less than a year later embarking on another journey – this time as community evangelist at LinkedIn!

Jeremiah Owyang interviews Mario Sundar (this was right when I started at LinkedIn)

Play Video

I’m really excited at this opportunity to convert my preaching into practice. My immediate goals are pretty simple:

1. Help our users understand LinkedIn better
2. Help LinkedIn understand our users better

To accomplish that, my goal is to engage with the different communities of LinkedIn users out there; whether it be in the blogosphere, at discussion forums, or physical events with a goal of listening to their feedback.

Blog Focus?

The focus of this blog will continue to be centered around customer evangelism and community marketing; both of which I’ve been talking about ever since I started this blog. Moving forward, you’ll also see some examples of implementation, lessons learnt, social media experiments, etc…

To get uninterrupted access to my marketing thoughts, feel free to subscribe to the RSS feeds:

My Thoughts – Marketing Nirvana (subscribe)
My Career – LinkedIn Profile
My Photos – Flickr (subscribe)
My Email – mario.sundar@gmail.com

I’d like to thank my fellow bloggers with whom it’s been great learning and sharing ideas — Damon Billian, Noah Kagan, Mack Collier, Karl Long, Ann Handley, CK, David Armano, Chris Thilk, Eric Kintz, Paul McEnany, Mike Wagner, Anand Iyer, Easton Ellsworth, Mukund Mohan, Debbie Weil, Will Pate, Tracy Sheridan and Shel Israel. (Have I missed anyone?)

The journey continues…

Filed under: About Mario Sundar, Business Blogging

49 Responses

1. Congrats! And I was half expecting to hear you were taking a job at Podtech. Sounds like it will be a great journey with a great company that has a promising future.

2. Mario Sundar says:

Thanks, Cameron, for your kind words and best wishes.

3. Mario Vellandi says:

Yeah brutha, good luck! I’ll definitely be looking forward to new posts on community engagement

4. Mario Sundar says:

Thanks, Mario!

Of course, more community, more evangelism…Can’t wait for your blog, tho! 🙂

5. Mack Collier says:

Very cool Mario! Congrats and let us know what you are doing to evangelize LinkedIn, I love hearing about the ‘behind the scenes’ stories 😉 Congrats again!

6. Ann Handley says:

You are amazing. Congrats!!

7. All the credit is due to you, congrats Mario

8. […] I informally interviewed Mario on video, you can watch as he explains his purpose as a Customer Evangelist, Congrats Mario and congratulations LinkedIn, you’ll now have a better connection with customers, communicate more effectively and continue to put a human face on your company, you couldn’t have picked anyone more friendly and genuine than Mario. […]

9. Mike Sansone says:

Mario – Very cool. Stay contagious

10. Connie Reece says:

Mario – I’m already an enthusiastic user of LinkedIn, so this is great news for connection-makers.

11. Eric Kintz says:

WOW congrats Mario! Eric

12. […] call him their Community Evangelist.  After only a year of experience, Mario Sundar has now taken over the position as a professional blogger with LinkedIn.  One year sounds like a […]

13. Mike says:

Mario, it was great meeting with you at the PhotoWalk yesterday. Linkedin is lucky to have you as a community evangelist and I’m sure you’ll be doing great things for them.

14. shel israel says:

Congrats Mario. You have your work cut out for you. I’ve been in Linked In for several years. I say yes to almost every invite. So far, I’ve been asked to make a connection only once and I’ve never been introduced to anyone through the service.

15. Hey Mario… I’m merely a friend of Jeremiah’s, but I thought this was great news. I’m a web developer, so I’ve been very impressed with LinkedIn’s use of Microformats and other transportable data lately. Now to see they are getting a community evangelist is another great sign. Best of luck.

16. Congrats on the new gig – it should be fun, and Kay’s one of the best.

17. Mukund Mohan says:

Mario
    Rock on man. Well deserved. Its going to be a great gig. I like Linked In. I’ll give you a earful when you get there 🙂

Keep on blogging BTW, dont forget that’s what got you there in the first place.

18. Sweet, Mario! Keep blazin’ that awesome trail.

19. Mario Sundar says:

Ann, Mack, Mike and Eric,
    Thanks for the kind words.

Mack,
    You’ll definitely be hearing more on evangelism & community efforts from me. Stay tuned.

20. Mario Sundar says:

Hi Connie,

Good to know and so am I 🙂

You probably are already aware of some of the Yahoo! Groups were LinkedIn users hang out. Here are the big 3:
    1. My LinkedIn Power Forum
    2. LinkedInnovators
    3. Since you’re a blogger, LinkedIn Bloggers

Let me know if you’re a member of other groups/discussion forums?

21. Congrats Mario and Good luck!

22. noah kagan says:

Congrats. You are a great person and LinkedIn is so damn lucky to have you.

23. Joseph Denzel says:

What a cool job! LinkedIn has found the perfect person for it, too!

Congratulations. If you ever need people for focus groups or whatever, I am more than happy to help.

24. Rock on & congrats! I think you will enjoy working with the fine folks over there! LI is probably one of the cooler products out there & I think you will be able to make an impact.

25. Mario Sundar says:

Thanks, Shel!

It’s all about the “humanification” of companies 🙂

It’s good to hear of your experience using the site. Please let me know if you’ve any further feedback.

Good luck with the book.

26. Mario Sundar says:

Hi Adam,

Thanks! Have you subscribed to my colleague Steve Ganz’s (Sr. Web Developer) blog: http://steve.ganz.name/?

I’ve just added your blog to my reader.

27. Mario Sundar says:

Thanks, Jeremy.

Yes! It’s great working with Kay.

And, Thanks to Easton, Christopher, Noah (are you gonna be at the web2.0 expo?), Joseph, and my good friend – Damon, for the best wishes.

28. Mario Sundar says:

Mukund,

Thanks! Of course, not. Blogging helped me redefine what my priorities within marketing were.

Talk to you soon.

29. Paul McEnany says:

You rock, Mario! Congratulations!

30. Mario Sundar says:

Thanks, Paul!

I appreciate it, buddy.

31. […] Sundar has been hired by professional social networking site LinkedIn as a community/customer […]

32. CK says:

I am so happy for you and for Linked In…they lucked out with you. This is amazing and well-deserved. And it will be so fun! So, when do we do a Sake post to this? Much love & luck friend ;-).

33. Honored to be a fellow learner with you Mario.

LinkedIn will look back on this a wise decision!

Stir things up, bring your wisdom…and keep creating,
    Mike

34. Mario Sundar says:

Thanks, Chris, for the mention on Movie Marketing Madness.

Mike,
    Thanks for the kind words.

I’ll definitely keep our community of marketers posted on all the exciting developments.

35. Mario Sundar says:

CK!
    Long time, no hear. I’m so glad with all the well deserved success you’re having with the book club. Yes, I’m still guilty I haven’t participated yet, but I look forward to the next one and hope to contribute.

We definitely need a sake post or maybe we’ll meet sometime this year for a sake party? 🙂

36. […] like to “Thank You” all for your kind words and best wishes. And, of course, to Jeremiah for the video intro. Speaking of Jeremiah, he had a great post on […]

37. Toby says:

Mario – late to your blogannivesary party but wanted to add my congrats! and best wishes. Looking forward to year 2 and more great posts .. now the important question – Any cake left?

38. Mario Sundar says:

Hi Toby,

Thanks for the wishes. My Blog anniversary is still 2 months away but the exciting news for me is of course my role at LinkedIn.

We should party, so when are you going to be in San Francisco next?

39. Mario,

Heartfelt congratulations to you! LinkedIn has made a very wise move, and I know you will make a profound difference. Quite excellent.

I’d love to chat again soon!

40. Mario Sundar says:

Thanks, Tracy!

Definitely. My blog should soon have a list of events I’m attending each week.

Just let me know and we can meet. I look forward to chatting with you soon.

41. Mario,

Congratulations!

Sorry to be so late…just catching up on things.

Best wishes,
    Marianne

42. Mario Sundar says:

Thanks for the wishes, Marianne.

43. Will Pate says:

I have no idea how I missed this before, but way to go Mario. LinkedIn, let this guy rock your casbah.

44. Mario Sundar says:

Thanks, Will!

I’m still waiting for YOUR major “”cool news”! Can’t wait… Should I congratulate you in advance? 🙂

45. Thanks for the add, Mario. While I haven’t subscribed to Steve’s blog (it seems that I tend to hear about what he’s saying through others. I’ll be adding, though, to keep up a little better. Curious to see how this evolves. Thanks!

46. Mario Sundar says:

Thanks for swinging by, Adam.

I look forward to more conversations, though 🙂

47. […] LinkedIn is one of the early social networks (I evangelized it heavily when people were getting laid off at Exodus) so I know they will harness these tools to build a better experience. This is certainly a second step in the right direction, the first, of course, was hiring Mario. […]

48. […] blogs or community marketing) but more importantly since it’s a career blog, it led me to my dream gig. For those of you, who are considering a blog and have time to invest, I’d recommend having a […]

49. […] continuation of a super-exciting journey I began at LinkedIn close to 4 years ago (here’s a video Jeremiah took when I just started out here), and boy, what an awesome roller coaster it’s been. The […]