Blame it on Scoble… After kicking my RSS feed reading addiction while I was using Wizz RSS, I switched to a great looking, yet slow and boring Feed Raider when my RSS feed reading habit almost slowed to a halt, but a few evangelistic posts & video from Scoble and here I am, stuck with two google reader accounts and reading 100s of feed posts each day. The more you read, the more you’ve got to read!
Imagine an email box which is always filled with news items on topics you love. After reading a ton of feeds, you log back on the next day and voila…you have more than you can possibly handle. My already-diminishing TV viewing has ground to a halt and here I am — guilty of having another152 posts to read still! I’m telling ya — it’s addictive.
Here are 8 reasons I absolutely love Google Reader:
1. Ability to access news items & blog posts on topics I love: “marketing evangelism”, “community marketing”, “social media”, etc… (this is more of an RSS functionality, but it’s only after I started using Google Reader that I feel like I can truly enjoy a multitude of these feeds)
2. The fact that irrespective of how many feeds I have, it always sorts with the latest posts. Not only that, the fact that you can swiftly sort through tons of posts by scanning through their title and a brief snippet, makes it very easy to keep tabs on tons of feeds, and without missing a beat
3. On the flipside however, not all posts are created equal, so let’s say I have blog posts from Jeremiah (A) compared with a brand new blog (B). It’d be great if I can access blog posts A ahead of posts from blog B irrespective of the time it was posted. Basically, I’m suggesting the creation of different categories of feeds, which can then be read based on interest level.
4. The ability to tag individual blog posts with keywords (a la http://del.icio.us/)
5. The ability to star items that can be pulled up later for a closer look
6. Keyboard shortcuts: J or spacebar — takes you from one post to another and K — leads you back to a previous post
7. Adding subscriptions is a breeze
8. Creating a link blog where I can share posts I enjoy with the reading community. Here’s Scoble’s link blog. I’ll probably create mine shortly.
Try Google Reader and you’ll understand what I mean. But be prepared to remain glued to your computer for more hours!
Welcome to the TiVo of the Web!!